What is the difference between Gastric Bypass & Gastric Sleeve Surgery
If you are about to make the decision to have a Bariatric Surgery, you must be asking this question: What is the difference between Gastric Bypass and Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
When deciding which surgery is right for you, you should take into account and understand all the differences between Gastric Bypass and Gastric Sleeve Surgery. It is essential to compare your options.
- Gastric Sleeve and Gastric Bypass are both surgeries that help obese persons lose weight if they have been unsuccessful in previous weight loss efforts
- Gastric Sleeve surgery involves a removal of a portion of the stomach, between 70 to 80 percent, leaving less room for food so you feel fuller sooner when eating. While with the Gastric Bypass, a significant portion of the stomach is stapled off, creating a smaller pouch at the top of the stomach which is the only part of the stomach that receives food. The small intestine is then cut and a section removed and rerouted bypassing most of the stomach and the pylorus, the valve that keeps food from emptying out of your stomach too early.
- Gastric Sleeve Surgery takes less time to perform, between 45 to 60 minutes, it is a less complicated surgery, has fewer nutritional implications and lower risk of dumping syndrome. Gastric Bypass Surgery takes 2 or 3 hours to perform and it is considered a complex and invasive surgical procedure with potential nutritional deficiency and risk of dumping syndrome.
- Gastric Sleeve Surgery is about restriction, it is used to physically limit the amount of food the stomach can hold, which limits the number of calories you can eat, and works as an extremely effective dietary tool. On the other hand, Gastric Bypass surgery is works with malabsorption, the body does not absorb the calories and fat from the food you eat, and it is used to bypass part of small intestine, which reduces the amount of calories and nutrients the body absorbs.
- Both Gastric Bypass and Gastric Sleeve Surgeries can be effective tools in achieving long-term weight loss and improving obesity-related conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and sleep apnea.
- Gastric Sleeve limits ingestion of food and hunger by getting rid of the section of the stomach where the ghrelin, the hunger hormone, is produced. Gastric Bypass surgery has the benefit that malabsorption promotes faster and more weight loss.
- Gastric Bypass Surgery is recommended for very obese patients with a BMI over 45 and Gastric Sleeve Surgery is ideal for over 30 BMI patients.
- Gastric Bypass patients lose between 80 to 90% of excess their body weight, while Gastric Sleeve patients lose between 60 to 80% of their excess body weight, both within 12 to 18 months.
- Gastric Sleeve patients can consume around 600 to 700 calories daily during their weight loss journey, while those who select Gastric Bypass can consume 800 calories daily.
- Gastric Sleeve patients typically can consume about 3-4 ounces of protein in a sitting while Gastric Bypass patients can consume about 6-8 ounces of protein per meal.
Obesity is a serious health problem and Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Bypass surgeries are considered the most efficacious treatment for morbid obesity in the long term. A rule of thumb if you have to lose 100 pounds or less, consider the Gastric Sleeve Surgery and if you have to lose 150 pounds or more then you should consider the Gastric Bypass surgery. And if you are somewhere in between then you need to carefully consider what options are best for you. Either way, always consult your bariatric surgeon before taking any decision.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THESE SAFE AND EFFECTIVE WEIGHT LOSS PROCEDURES OFFERED BY WEIGHT LOSS TEAM AND DR. HIDALGO IN PUERTO VALLARTA.
Of course, Weight Loss Team, and its staff of experts will be more than ready to guide you and help you decide which Bariatric surgery will be right for you. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.
For more information:
Telephone: Toll free 1(800) 404-9064 or + 1(818) 949-6911