Importance of a diet plan both Pre-and Post-Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Gastric Sleeve Surgery in Mexico is a big step for substantial weight loss and life change. However, the surgery itself is not enough to ensure long-term weight loss success. A proper diet plan pre-surgery and post-Gastric Sleeve Surgery is the key to an optimal patient outcome.
The main objective of the pre-op diet is to reduce the visceral fat around the stomach and to shrink the liver so that the liver is in optimal condition and as small as possible for the surgery. That helps the surgeon see and navigate the patient's anatomy during the operation, and allows the doctor a work area so that he can successfully perform your gastric sleeve surgery. Otherwise, if you don’t follow the diet plan, surgery may be delayed or canceled intra-operatively, during the operation, due to difficulties with the doctor being able to perform the gastric sleeve surgery.
The recommended pre-op diet plan is high in protein and low in fat, carbohydrates, and sugar. A patient must consume 70 to 120 grams of protein considering 800 to 1200 calories per day. The patient needs to take the following into account:
- Quit smoking
- Avoid alcoholic drinks and high sugar beverages
- Avoid caffeinated or carbonated beverages
- Do not drink with meals
- Soup broth with no solids may be consumed
- Vegetable juice but not fruit juice is allowed
- Wait at least 30 minutes after a meal before consuming any fluid
- Consume protein shakes
Once the Gastric Sleeve operation has been performed, the stomach needs to heal and what the patient eats will determine how well and how quickly he or she will recover. Gastric Sleeve patient must follow a post-op diet plan to help the stomach heal, and to prevent the stomach from stretching. Not following the correct diet will also put undue stress on your body.
Gastric Sleeve patient must be determined to reach their goal so, following the surgeon recommendations will be the right choice to avoid any side effects and complications from surgery. The first five days after surgery are very important, to the patients ultimate outcome. For that reason, the post-op diet is created in stages until patient is ready to tolerate solid foods. After that, patients must have a healthy and integral diet to maintain their weight loss success throughout the rest of their life.
Post-op diet plans may include:
- Liquid Diet (1 week): water, lactose free-fat free milk, fat-free broth, sugar-free jello, decaf tea or coffee, strained cream soup
- Pureed foods (2 weeks): Protein shakes, egg whites, non-fat soft cheese, no caffeinated or carbonated drinks, soft fruits and cooked vegetables, no sugar.
- Soft Foods (2 weeks) Lean chicken or turkey, fish, egg whites, tofu, potatoes, carrots, green beans, tomatoes, squash, non-fat cheese, avocados, bananas, cucumbers
- Solid Foods: High-protein requirements, low carbohydrates and low in calories fat and sugars. At his point, the patient must consider the daily intake of 64oz of water for proper hydration, drink and eat slowly, keep your meals small and balanced, focus on high-protein foods, drink fluids 30 minutes before or after meals and all liquids should be caffeine-free and no alcohol. A patient must take supplements and multivitamins on a daily basis and should try to drink a liter of electrolytes each day for hydration.
It is very important to follow the recommended Pre-and Post-Gastric Sleeve Surgery Diet Plan which is designed with the goal of limiting the number of calories the patient consumes and balancing meals that would help to prevent deficiencies and preserve muscle tissue.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THESE SAFE AND EFFECTIVE WEIGHT LOSS PROCEDURE OFFERED BY WEIGHT LOSS TEAM AND DR. HIDALGO IN PUERTO VALLARTA.
Of course, Weight Loss Team, and its staff of experts will be more than ready to guide you through your weight loss journey before and after your Gastric Sleeve in Mexico as well any revision surgery options you may need if you are not satisfied with your current weight loss results. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.
For more information:
Telephone: Toll free 1(800) 404-9064 or + 1(818) 949-6911