What is the Post Op Diet for a Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
The decision of having weight loss surgery is a serious one, there is no easy way to losing weight, and the Patient must be committed as well as dedicated to this process which will either help them achieve a life-changing experience or become a complete failure. The Gastric Sleeve Surgery itself is not a magic trick, it is merely a tool to help get on the path that will take the patient to a different, healthy, exciting, and challenging life.
The main goal of the Pre-op diet prior to surgery is to shrink the liver so as to help the patient avoid complications during the procedure. However, the Post Op Diet for gastric sleeve patients will introduce the patient into a lifelong dietary behavior modification process to ensure both an adequate nutritional status and long-term weight loss success.
Dr. Juan F. Hidalgo MD., one of Mexico’s leading bariatric surgeons who perform surgery out of his bariatric practice, Weight Loss Team in Puerto Vallarta Mexico has designed a special Gastric Sleeve Post Op Diet that helps the patient progress through a series of stages thus allowing the patient's stomach to heal, and prepare them for what is coming down the road:
STAGE 1: CLEAR LIQUID DIET (Day 1-3)
Water, sugar-free gelatin, ice chips, clear isopure/protein, sugar-free popsicles, nonfat broth, sugar-free juices.
+ Take liquids slowly and avoid very hot liquids
STAGE 2: FULL LIQUID DIET (Day 4 – Day 17)
Low Fat /High protein/Sugar-free
- Include liquids from stage 1
- Use a blender to make cream soups
- Vegetable juices
- Chicken, beef or vegetable broth
- Skim milk
- Protein shakes (count as a meal)
- Consume a minimum of five small liquid meals per day
STAGE 3: PUREED DIET (Day 18 – Day 30)
Low Fat /High protein/Sugar-free
- Pureed and very soft food not requiring a lot of chewing
- Protein shakes
- Soft scrambled eggs, low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese
- Eat slowly and stop eating if you are full. Allow yourself 30 minutes to eat your meal
- Continue drinking liquids slowly
- Tip: you can place a can of Campbell’s Soup in the blender and make an easy puree!
STAGE 4: SOFT / REGULAR DIET (4 WEEKS POST OPERATIVE)
- Avoid All Concentrated Sweets, stick to low fat, high fiber, high protein foods
- Protein-rich food should remain a priority at each meal (low fat)
- Start with soft protein (fish, eggs, chicken thigh or leg, ground turkey, and work your way to a tougher protein like steak, chicken breast or pork
- Low-fat soft cheese
- Soft cooked vegetables (squash, carrots and green beans)
- An extremely small amount of carbs (potatoes, low sugar cereals, etc.) – try to avoid carbs for the best results.
IMPORTANT: After the POST DIET, remember the goal for each day is: 90 grams of protein, less than 30 grams of carbs, and less than 10 grams of sugar. If you follow this guide you will have success on your weight loss journey!
Good nutrition through balanced meals is the key to success. Eat 5 times a day. The Gastric Sleeve will restrict how much food you can eat, but not what you eat. It is essential to follow-up on the diet with all your surgeons’ suggestions.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE SAFE AND EFFECTIVE WEIGHT LOSS PROCEDURES OFFERED BY WEIGHT LOSS TEAM AND DR. HIDALGO IN SAFE PUERTO VALLARTA MEXICO WHILE HAVING SURGERY IN A COVID-19 FREE HOSPITAL.
Of course, Weight Loss Team, and its staff of experts will be more than ready to guide you through your weight loss journey before and after having your Gastric Sleeve Surgery in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico as well any other revision surgery options you may need if you are not satisfied with your current weight loss results. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.
Contact Weight Loss Team and Dr. Juan F. Hidalgo MD.
For more information:
Telephone: Toll free 1 (800) 404-9064 or + 1 (818) 949-6911