Changing old bad habits is the key to Weight Loss Surgery success
Weight Loss Surgery like gastric bypass or gastric sleeve surgery has a great impact on an obese person’s life in many different ways. That is why it is very important that patients examine their old habits that really need to be changed after surgery. The reason for this is changing your old bad habits is the key to weight loss surgery success.
Committing to a post weight loss surgery diet and making lifestyle changes requires many interpersonal adjustments for the individual patient and sometimes even their families. The patient must change how he or she thinks about him/herself. Some patients gain much more confidence as they successfully change their lifestyle and manage their weight. Mental health can be an important part of a postoperative healthy life.
Embracing a new life by breaking all those old bad habits is ultimately in each patient’s hands. As such, they must first understand what the surgeon means with ‘lifestyle change’ to get the key to weight loss surgery success and follow all those winning tips and strategies they will need.
Changing old bad habits and getting new ones means the following:
- Eating habits are very important but they might be affected by many situations, especially by emotions, stress or eating disorders. So, patients should be prepared for ups and downs along the weight loss journey and avoid eating to relieve stress or eating when they are not hungry. Patients should eat no more than three meals a day along with two snacks, learning to listen to their hunger cues not the clock and eating protein first with every meal.
- A healthy sleeping pattern is another key to success. Setting a regular bedtime will help to improve patients’ energy levels which is important to exercise and performing regular daily duties and routines. Inadequate sleep could be one contributing factor in weight gain.
- Stress management is basic for a lifestyle change. If your stress levels are out of control, this can lead to wrong choices made by the weight loss patient, which will affect the weight loss journey success.
- Drink water and this does not mean soda, coffee, tea or juice. It means clear natural water, you know H20, tap, bottled or spring it does not matter but remember to avoid liquids with calories and soda even diet soda. Patients should also know that alcohol contains calories but minimal nutrition and obviously will work against your weight loss goals due to the carb load and sugars in most alcoholic beverages. If the patient’s intention is to have a healthy lifestyle, they should avoid drinking alcohol as alcohol may be absorbed more quickly into the body after Weight Loss Surgery.
- Quitting smoking should be seriously considered before and after weight loss procedure to help you feel better and live healthier. Smoking or chewing tobacco leads to decreased blood supply to the patient’s body thus delaying healing, in addition to causing some other linked health problems such as blood clots, heart disease, stroke, cancer, etc. If you stop smoking for surgery, why restart you have made it through the hardest part and will be much healthier by not smoking post-surgery.
- No snacking. This habit is one of the biggest enemies of post weight loss surgery patients
- Exercise regularly. Physical activity is very important for long-term success. It is necessary that Weight Loss patients have a fitness program and gradually increase the intensity of their work out routine. Exercise will help patient`s mobility and has great benefits on their body, health and mind.
- Another very important thing to being successful in a patient’s new healthy life after Weight Loss Surgery is to include vitamins and mineral supplements in their daily diet as this will help to regulate their body’s core processes such as appetite and hunger, nutrient absorption, fat and sugar metabolism, energy storage, brain activity and thyroid function.
Patients who have had surgery with Dr. Hidalgo in Puerto Vallarta at his bariatric clinic Weight Loss Team know that for long-term success after Weight Loss Surgery the key is the Patient`s commitment to change their old bad habits. Each patient is educated on this process, and Weight Loss Team tries it best to produce patients that have complete success with their weight loss surgery and the weight loss journey that follows. Weight Loss Surgery can get patients on the path to good health when other efforts have failed; however, it is not a magical solution, it needs patients to complete behavioral changes and an overachieving attitude. After a weight loss procedure, patient’s life success will be their daily changes which must be permanent.
For more information regarding Clinics/ Hospitals and Weight Loss Options mentioned in this article:
Weight Loss Team – Bariatric Clinic of Dr. Juan F. Hidalgo
Telephone: Toll free 1(800) 404-9064 or + 1(818) 949-6911