Do I qualify for a Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
Gastric Sleeve Surgery is one of the most reliable procedures for weight loss surgery to help patients facing the obesity crisis and the gastric sleeve surgery is a powerful tool, in addition to the patient’s effort, to lose and keep off extra weight. Gastric Sleeve Surgery offers a lasting solution to effective weight loss by removing between 60 % to 80% of the stomach, leaving behind a small sleeve or tube shape of the stomach thus making changes to the patient’s digestive system and metabolism that limits how much food they can eat and how many nutrients they absorb, leading to weight loss. But how does a patient know if they qualify for gastric sleeve surgery?
Learning about all of the Gastric Sleeve requirements for a qualification is a very important matter to know for an obese patient’s own safety and success of the procedure. Gastric Sleeve as with any weight loss surgery is major surgery and not everybody is a solid candidate for the procedure. So, it is essential that patients, who are willing to have a weight loss surgery, undergo a thorough evaluation to determine if they are candidates or not.
According to Dr. Juan F. Hidalgo who performs gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico out of his bariatric practice, Weight Loss Team, here are the following most important aspects to qualify for a Gastric Sleeve Surgery:
- BMI (Body Mass Index) is the most important of the gastric sleeve surgery requirements. The patient must have a minimum BMI of 30 or more and ideally should have to lose 60 or more pounds to qualify for this procedure.
- Inability to achieve a healthy weight loss sustained for a period of time with prior weight loss efforts
- Patients who suffer serious co-morbidity diseases related to obesity such as diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, or other respiratory disorders, heart disease, etc.
- Being committed to long-term life changes
- Being able to handle the physical stress of the procedure
- Knowing that surgery is a tool, not a magic pill
- Being aware of the risks of the surgery
- Being between 16 with parental consent to 70 years old
- Quit smoking for at least a few weeks before and after the surgery
If the patient is considered by their surgeon as a candidate, they will be required to follow a special pre-op diet plan which will be very important to the success of their surgery.
If you already qualify for a weight loss procedure, Gastric Sleeve is a big step for substantial weight loss and life change. Remember there are other surgery tools available to the patients, but if someone has less than 150 pounds to lose, the gastric sleeve is one of the best options for weight loss surgery to assist in the weight loss journey.
For more information regarding Clinics/ Hospitals and Weight Loss Options mentioned in this article:
Weight Loss Team – Bariatric Clinic of Dr. Juan F. Hidalgo
Telephone: Toll free 1(800) 404-9064 or + 1(818) 949-6911