Mini Gastric Bypass Benefits
A Mini Gastric Bypass is an approach to Bariatric Surgery that is said to be easier to perform than the traditional Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass. This procedure is technically less challenging than Gastric Bypass and carries a lower percentage of complication risk. With the mini gastric bypass, a pouch is created in the stomach, similar to gastric sleeve surgery using the laparoscopic weight loss surgery technique of small keyhole size entry points into the abdomen. The goal of the Mini Bypass is similar to that of the Gastric Bypass’s which is to reduce the size of the stomach to decrease the overall accessible stomach volume, as well as bypassing a stretch of the intestines causing weight loss by not allowing the body to absorb the calories from the food that is eaten. The difference between the mini gastric bypass and the full RNY Gastric Bypass is that the Mini Bypass only has one connection point to the small intestine (as opposed to two with the full RNY) and this restricts and impairs the absorption of food and some nutrients across the gastrointestinal tract. As such, the mini-gastric bypass typically will reduce the amount of food that the patient consumes causing malabsorption of calories, resulting in weight loss.
In a few words, The Mini Bypass Surgery is restrictive and also malabsorptive. This means that reduces the size of the stomach restricting the amount of food a patient can eat and at the same time, it reduces the absorption of food by bypassing up to 6 feet of the small intestines.
The following are some of the benefits of the mini-gastric bypass:
- The time of the operation is shorter than Bypass Surgery
- The technique used is simpler to perform. The bowel is not cut through and re-attached to the stomach
- The risk of complications is reduced
- The risk of an internal hernia is reduced
- It shows great results in terms of weight loss and recovery
- It is less expensive
- It is performed in a modified manner that involves less intestinal rerouting and a shorter overall procedure time
- It is less invasive
- Less time of recovery
- It relieves obesity symptoms like sleep apnea diabetes, edema, and arthritis
- Health problems associated with a patient’s weight will have significant improvements after surgery
- Pain is usually not an issue
- Patients go back to normal activities within a week.
- The Mini Bypass has very promising results. Most patients are expected to lose 70-90% of their excess weight over a 2-year period, according to their adaptation to the new lifestyle and eating habits.
Patients with a BMI of 40 or more are considered candidates for Mini Bypass Surgery in Mexico. However, it is always recommended that a patient receive a medical evaluation performed by the specialist who will suggest to the patient which surgery option would be the best bariatric option for them. Weight Loss Team, the bariatric surgical center at the CMQ Riviera Nayarit Hospital in Puerto Vallarta Mexico, and its staff of experts will be more than ready to guide you through your journey of having your Mini Bypass Surgery in Mexico as well as any other bariatric surgery options you may be interested in.
For more information regarding Clinics/ Hospitals and Weight Loss Options mentioned in this article:
Weight Loss Team – Bariatric Surgical Center at the CMQ Riviera Nayarit Hospital in Puerto Vallarta
Telephone: Toll free 1(800) 404-9064 or + 1(818) 949-6911