Duodenal Switch Surgery Can Change the Way You Process Food
*This surgery is not recommended for all patients
The Duodenal Switch Surgery is a very effective form of bariatric surgery available for super obese patients. This revolutionary surgical procedure may help extremely overweight patients lose weight in a short period of time and keep it off. The duodenal switch surgery is definitely not right for every patient however, and the Bariatric Team at Weight Loss Team can evaluate if it is right for you.
During duodenal switch surgery, the bariatric surgeons at Weight Loss Team perform a partial gastrectomy to reduce the size of the stomach. The resection is created along the elongated side of the stomach to restrict the stomach’s capacity to hold food. The normal functionality of the organ isn’t compromised; rather, only its size is reduced. Unlike other gastric bypass procedures, the pyloric valve and the duodenum will remain intact. The preservation of the pathways will allow food to pass through the stomach and intestines with ease, and your body will be able to absorb a healthy amount of nutrients throughout the digestive process. Additionally, during duodenal switch surgery, the surgeon will rearrange the layout of the small intestine to differentiate the flow of food from the flow of stomach bile and pancreatic juices. By adjusting your small intestine, he can restrict your caloric intake while your food breaks down in your digestive track. Fat absorption will be limited throughout the process as your food makes its way into the large intestine.
The patient should be super obese with BMI of over 70 to even consider this procedure.
ADVANTAGES & BENEFITS
80% WEIGHT LOSS
1 YEAR TO REACH GOAL
This surgery takes about 2 to 3 hours. The patient should lose up to 80% of their excess weight.
*Notice the results may vary for each patient depending on many factors related to race, age, health, gender and whether or not the patient follows the doctor’s post-operative instructions.
- Patients should be able to eat normal, healthy portions of food without difficulty.
- Food is able to be properly digested.
- The ability of the stomach to function is not impaired in any way.
- Because the pyloric valve remains intact, patients are unlikely to develop dumping syndrome, ulcers, and blockages.
- Losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight may reduce the patients risk of obesity-related diseases and help to relieve symptoms of certain medical conditions they currently may have.
- Patients tend to feel more confident in their own skin as they lose weight.
- Patients tend to have more energy as they begin to lose weight.
Supplied by Weight Loss Team