Hair Loss is a relatively common occurrence that happens after Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Bypass Surgery, no matter where in the world you have your surgery. For those who had gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico or gastric bypass surgery in Mexico, this may be even scarier as sometimes the doctors do not discuss this with their patients. That said, this can be scary for many women; however, remember it is not permanent; your hair will grow back. Hair loss rarely lasts for more than six months in the absence of a dietary cause. Losing weight rapidly, not getting enough protein, and the physiological stress your body goes through from surgery are some of the reasons patients lose hair as well as a lack of important dietary nutrients such as zinc, biotin, potassium, vitamin B6 or phosphorus.
Nutrition can have a great impact on hair health because when forced to make a choice, the body will shift nutritional stores to vital organs like your brain and heart and away from your hair.
Patients who undergo Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Bypass surgery are more likely to experience hair loss because of rapid weight loss which can cause the body to shift nutrients towards vital organs such as the heart and brain and away from cosmetic functions such as hair growth. This could occur most commonly at 3 to 5 months post op.
As the body begins to adjust to all the changes, the hair loss will decrease and finally stop.
There are certain tips that weight loss patient needs to consider to prevent hair loss after Gastric Sleeve and Gastric Bypass surgery:
- Take daily the vitamins and minerals recommended by your surgeon. They are essential for avoiding nutrient deficiencies.
- Consume lean protein foods at each and every meal. Protein is the building block of all cells so, 90g per day is recommended.
- Iron is the micronutrient most commonly related to hair loss. Consume a vitamin C rich food when eating food high in iron and the iron will be absorbed better
- Use liquid or powder protein supplements to meet daily protein intake goals.
- Consume zinc which is an important factor for the growth and development of healthy hair.
- Biotin is a B-complex vitamin that essential for healthy skin, nail and hair. While biotin deficiencies are somewhat rare, there has been some anecdotal evidence that taking biotin supplements can help reduce the amount of hair loss weight loss surgery.
- Lack of fatty acids has been linked to hair loss. The body usually receives these fatty acids from foods such as fish, green vegetables, and flaxseeds.
- Eat a wide variety of healthy, nutrient-rich foods every food every day
- Keep hydrated. 2 liters of healthy fluids every day are recommended.
- Relax and do not worry. It is natural to experience hair loss of about 5 to 15% of hair due to the stress of surgery and weight loss.
Hair loss after can be distressing to Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Bypass Surgery patients. So, it is very important that patients know about the potential for hair loss and possible underlying causes can help them to make informed choices and be prepared.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THESE SAFE AND EFFECTIVE WEIGHT LOSS PROCEDURE OFFERED BY WEIGHT LOSS TEAM AND DR. HIDALGO IN PUERTO VALLARTA.
Of course, Weight Loss Team, and its staff of experts will be more than ready to guide you through your weight loss journey after your Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Bypass as well any revision surgery options you may need if you are not satisfied with your weight loss results. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.
For more information:
Telephone: Toll free 1(800)404-9064 or + 1(818)949-6911